Friday, September 2, 2011

Funny Thing About Family

Dear Friend,

Families.  Is there another word that can conjure up as much emotion as that word?  Think about your family for more than a few moments and you will either start to smile as memories wander through your mind, snatches of those special moments shared or your blood will begin to boil with anger and frustration at their latest escapade.  Family members are those special people you want to throttle one minute and fiercely protect the next. 

Ever wonder why that is?  And why are there friends who are closer to you than a blood family member.  Emotions are a funny thing.  We make sure that we are always thoughtful of our friends.  Go out of our way for them, to help them, encourage them, or just be there for them.  Yet with our families, we are short tempered, impatient, and intolerant.  After all, they are family and it's o.k. to treat them that way.  Right?

I would disagree, though this is a case of not always practicing what I preach.  I have contemplated alot about relationships over the last few years as many of the relationships in my life have evolved, changed, or come to an end.  The one consistant thought I have had is that if we treated our family, as well as we treat our friends, how much better off our family relationships would be.

So this is the challenge I will leave you with today, and it is a challenge I myself am going to take up.  Start treating your family the way you treat your friends.  Draw them in and include them in your life.  Encourage them, love them, laugh with them, make the most out of the precious moments God has granted you together.  Trust me when I tell you, they really don't last forever.  In the blink of eye, major change can slip in.

Enjoy your day and let me hear from you soon.

Miss June

No comments:

Post a Comment